1913/01/01 to 1913/12/31
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
Henderson Terrace is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the City of Regina. The two-storey, brick row houses, constructed in 1913, occupy a wedge-shaped site between 18th Avenue and Leopold Crescent, occupying 1400 square metres in the historic Crescents area of the city.
The heritage value of the property is also associated with Regina’s development boom prior to the First World War. Especially during the half-decade prior to the War, real estate development surged due to the promotion and speculation of numerous developers, such as Charles G. Henderson, who developed the terrace. A contractor and partner in the firm of R & C.G. Henderson Real Estate, Henderson was responsible for the development for a sizable amount of residential development in Regina during this period.
City of Regina Bylaw No. 7625.
The heritage value of Henderson Terrace resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s historic row house architecture, including its division into eight dwellings, each with individual exterior entrances marked by a shared, open porch; the symmetrical, two-storey plan with gambrel roof and shed roof dormer windows; red-brick exterior with sandstone sills; 6/1, double-hung, wooden sash windows;
-those elements which associate it with the influence of English garden suburb type development, such as its original situation within the Crescents Area bordering Leopold Crescent;
-those elements which associate the property with Regina’s expansion prior to the First World War, including sandstone nameplate with ‘HENDERSON TERRACE 1913’ inscription.
McDiarmid & Donelly